Monday, February 4, 2013

The Sisterhood....



When pondering the question and thinking of a unique organization, club, something in my background or anything that would show my diverseness among the other Mamas who write for the blog, I immediately thought of the sisterhood that I am a member of. I did not join this sisterhood out of willingness, but without it I would not be the person I am today. The members of the club are not blood-related to me, but they understand my situation far better than my own friends and family do. Though I have not met the majority of the sisterhood face-to-face, I know that they would drop everything on a moments notice to aid a fellow member if necessary. The sisterhood I speak of is like no other; membership cannot be bought nor inherited. It demands women to be strong beyond their years and requires unwavering pride in and dedication to a man and a country. It is founded in a love so deep that even six thousand two hundred and thirty-four miles serves only to strengthen the members’ support of their men. Although life in the sisterhood is extremely difficult, and at times lonely and demanding, I am honored to be counted among the few and the proud. The title I hold is not glamorous by any means, but I would not trade it for the world. I am among the silent ranks of the United States military – I am a Proud Marine Wife.

As a Marine wife, I am a member of a sisterhood of women who have the courage to watch the men they love go into battle and the strength to cheer them on until they return. Our sorority knows no rank, for each of us earned our membership with a marriage license. Marrying my Marine granted me automatic membership into this group. It is an overall acceptance and understanding that is hard to find. The women that I have met are some of the most incredible women I have encountered in my life, and I am very blessed to have them. We may not be a recognized club or organization, but we are a force that continues to make an endless impact on our nation and the world. The bond and loyalty we share cannot be replaced. Upon meeting, there is an instant connection between members because we are truly the only ones who know what it is like to miss our marines. We share the same loneliness and struggles; whether it be sleeping alone at night or not seeing a spouse for days, weeks, months and over a year. Most importantly, each of us understands the importance of encouraging each other to stay strong in a time of war.

Many civilian newlyweds tend to believe that their undying love would inevitably ward off marital struggles. To the contrary, military wives enter marriages understanding that it will be their love and devotion that will conquer the inevitable challenges ahead. Marrying my marine has impacted my life so much; I deal with things on a day-to-day basis that most twenty-year-olds do not have to deal with. As a Marine wife, I am faced with obstacles and hardships that many of my peers cannot comprehend. More importantly, it has taught me invaluable lessons; specifically, I have gained a deep understanding about responsibility and priorities. The greatest benefit is that I have come to cherish freedom and life. Freedom derives much of its value from the lives given in its cause; life derives much of its value from the freedom it secures. These lessons may have been decades down the road for me without my marriage and my sisterhood.

Currently my husband is on Instructor and Inspector Duty, in Plainville, CT. Without the wives and girlfriends of Marines – my support system – I have no idea how I would be able to handle this lifestyle. I have met some of my best friends through the Marine Corps and have such a bond with them that nothing could ever replace. Time away from my husband is challenging, but I love him more than anything and will continue to support him. I have many roles in life; I am a daughter, sister, student, friend, and co-worker, but my most important role in life is being a wife. If my husband is at home with me or a million miles away, my role is unchanging; I will honor, love and support him. The sisterhood of fellow Marine wives just makes it a hundred times easier!





1 comment:

  1. Hi, I would like to see the evidence you have to back up the claims of being "a force that continues to make an endless impact on our nation and world".

    And also how can you make a comparison between civilian marriage and military marriage when you've never been married to a civilian? How can you claim to know that someone in a civilian marriage has far less struggles than you do? "I am faced with obstacles and hardships that many of my peers cannot comprehend" Are you aware of all the hardships they are comprehending in their own marriage and life? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete